Direct financial assistance to individuals is the primary focus of Easter Seals Ontario. Easter Seals provides direct financial assistance to children, youth and young adults with physical disabilities, to assist with the purchase of specialized mobility equipment and communication devices.
Who is eligible?
- Children, youth and young adults up to the age of 19 years who are registered with Easter Seals Ontario
- Children and youth must have a physical disability that restricts independent mobility and has an impact on performing daily living activities. Eligibility does not extend to children with a primary diagnosis of developmental disabilities such as Autism or a correctable condition.
What is funded?
Easter Seals’ Financial Assistance Program picks up where the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care’s Assistive Devices Program (ADP), insurance and other family resources leave off. Many ADP items are only partially funded. Easter Seals helps make up the balance to a set limit. Other items not funded by ADP may be funded. Examples of items funded include, wheelchairs, ramps, porch and van lifts, and bathing and toileting equipment.
How much support will Easter Seals provide?
Easter Seals will fund up to $3,000 per individual per year. Funding is dependent on the availability of funds at the time the request is made. Easter Seals funding may be a contribution toward the total cost of the equipment and may not cover the full amount.
How much are parents required to contribute?
Parents are required to pay the first $50.00 for each request or more, as their financial resources permit. Parents should ensure that other sources of funding have been accessed first, i.e., insurance, extended employer benefits, or funding from other agencies.
- Funding is available for only those items that appear on Easter Seals’ approved list. This list is reviewed on an annual basis
- Application submission period is January 1 to September 30th annually
- Funding approval must be given prior to the equipment being ordered/purchased
- Equipment will not be funded after it has been purchased
- A request for Financial Assistance is valid for 4 months from the date of approval
- Funding policies are reviewed on an annual basis and items may be added or removed from the list