We are currently recruiting for a dynamic and motivated individual to join the Easter Seals team in the leadership role of:
Senior Communications Officer
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Senior Communications Officer will use your expertise and experience to develop and implement communications initiatives that support fundraising and development, client programs and services, as well as management and corporate projects. This position will deal with staff across the province in the areas of internal and external communications, social media, media relations, and public awareness and marketing initiatives.
• Builds strong working relationships with internal stakeholders and stays informed about current projects and initiatives being conducted throughout the province.
• Writes, reviews and edits a wide variety of communications including, media releases, fact sheets, newsletter stories, brochure and annual report copy, fundraising proposals, event marketing materials and newsletters, web content and direct mail material, ensuring accuracy of corporate messaging, statistics and branding.
• Writes and manages the development of the semi-annual donor newsletter; includes content development, liaison with designer and ensuring timely delivery to meet direct mail schedule.
• Develops and posts content to the organization’s website using the WordPress platform.
• Participates in the development of event scripts, as well as the recruitment of and liaison with event hosts/emcees.
• Develops and posts content to corporate social media sites including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Flickr.
• Coordinates Easter Seals media relations activities for various special events utilizing a variety of media relations tools, including news releases, social media, and public service announcements. Develops relationships with Toronto area media and maintains current and targeted media contact lists.
• Acts as a liaison with the children selected for the annual Ambassador role and their families. Assists as required with public speaking opportunities (review of scripts, transportation).
• Produces earned-media reports as required.
• Writes content, and produces the Easter Seals’ external e-newsletter using MailChimp.
• Provides communications and media relations counsel to regional staff members.
• Prepares key messages, speeches and briefing documents for members of senior management and the Board of Directors as needed.
• Provides on-site support at various fundraising and corporate events as needed (involves nights and weekends).
• Assists the Director and other Senior Management with issue management as needed.
• Participates in developing and implementing other external communications and manages relationships with external suppliers as required.
• Participates in regular department and/or staff meetings.
• Responds to general inquiries from staff, volunteers, media and the general public.
• Must possess superior writing skills in editorial and copy writing, with a proven ability to write in different styles for a variety of audiences.
• Strong proof reading and editing skills.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills.
• Preference given to candidates with a thorough understanding of best practices in social media content creation and execution.
• Ability to produce accurate work to tight timelines, while managing competing priorities in a fast paced environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work collaboratively with internal stakeholders as well as external stakeholders, suppliers, and other contacts.
• A related Bachelor’s degree and post-graduate certificate in Communications or Journalism.
• 3 – 5 years experience in corporate communications, social media, and media relations.
• Excellent computer skills, including MS Office, InDesign and PhotoShop (preferred).
• Experience in using WordPress and MailChimp (preferred).
• Superior written and verbal skills.
• The ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders.
• Knowledge of the non-profit sector and disability issues is an asset.
• Driver’s license highly desired and access to a vehicle is preferred.
• A current and satisfactory Police Records Check and vulnerable sector screening report is a condition of employment.
• As events take place on evenings and weekends, flexibility with hours is required.
Easter Seals offers a solid total compensation package, including benefits, vacation, retirement savings and a collaborative work environment.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your cover letter and resume to email@example.com no than February 5, 2018. Please include Sr. Communications Officer in subject line. Resumes will be reviewed as received and qualified applicants may be contacted and interviewed before submission deadline. Therefore we encourage early submission. Easter Seals Ontario thanks all applicants for their expressed interested in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Easter Seals is committed to hiring a workforce inclusive of the diverse population it serves, and, wherever possible to provide job opportunities for persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available to candidates for all aspects of the selection process, upon request.